SB 50 is a radical California state law that will destroy thousands of homes and apartments to build luxury housing up to 8 stories high.
CALL TO ACTION!
Urgent Action by YOU is needed now
Email your Oppose SB 50 comment to this Senate Governance and Finance Committee
Don’t forget to also contact your California state senator here: http://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov
Help Stop SB 50 now:
– Call the Committee Members:
SENATE Governance & Finance Committee
Mike McGuire, Chair (916) 651-4002 email@example.com
John Moorlach, VC (916) 651-4037 https://moorlach.cssrc.us/content/my-offices
Jim Beall (916) 651-4015 https://sd15.senate.ca.gov/send-e-mail
Robert Hertzberg (916) 651-4018 https://sd18.senate.ca.gov/contact/email
Melissa Hurtado (916) 651-4014 https://sd14.senate.ca.gov/contact
Jim Nielsen (916) 651-4004 https://nielsen.cssrc.us/content/email-me
Scott Wiener (916) 651-4011 https://sd11.senate.ca.gov/contact
Journalists need to be informed on the Impacts of SB 50
Please reach out to a handful of journalists, not just in your area but in parts of California still asleep on SB 50. Talk over what the bill really does. Explain in your own words. Share the talking points and ask them to review them.
The goal is to change the media narrative about SB 50: This is not a softer version of SB 827. It is a much more radical bill that will harm cities large and small, and destroy communities and single-family communities nowhere near transit.
The longer reporters are in the dark, the less likely we will have an opportunity to influence how they frame the argument, and what they write.
Remember, most journalists operate in an echo chamber, pressed for time they repeat what they hear -- both from other journalists, lawmakers like Scott Wiener and experts who don't question the failed trickle down theory.
We are armed with facts and those can be used to shift the conversation. Scott Wiener and his PR team -- including the developer lobbyist group California YIMBY — are doing the same.
Here are some tips in dealing with journalists:
- Pick a journalist after typing in their name to see what pops up on Google. It doesn't matter if they haven't covered housing lately. It's just polite to know SOMETHING about their coverage before you contact them. VERY FEW reporters cover housing in and of itself -- almost nobody.
- Write an email expressing your concern about SB 50. Target the issue about the bill that most concerns you or will affect THEIR area. Pick one local journalist and one journalist in another area so we have a broad reach to journalists across the state. This is what will get the journalist's attention. Add, a human interest angle, or an experience you have had regarding rising rents; developers overrunning your area with luxury housing with little affordable; transit ridership dropping in Los Angeles and other areas that continue to build luxury housing around rail stops; things that you can personally relate to and speak about.
- Include 3 to 4 bullets points with a few solid facts about how SB 50 will negatively and indiscriminately affect the entire state whether it is San Francisco or the smallest town. (use the SB 50 talking points).
- Be super polite and indicate that you are open to discussing your concerns in a conversation -- on the phone, and on the record.
- Once you have emailed them, follow up with a phone call to make sure the reporter has received your email.
- Always be polite.
Media List for SB 50
Ryan Sabalow: firstname.lastname@example.org – Sacramento Bee
Phone: 1(916) 321-1264
Dale Kasler: email@example.com – Sacramento Bee
Phone: 1(916) 321-1066
Tony Bizjak: firstname.lastname@example.org - Sacramento Bee
Phone: 1(916) 321-1059
Erin Baldassari: email@example.com - San Jose Mercury
Phone: 1(510) 208-6428
George Avalos: firstname.lastname@example.org - San Jose Mercury:
Phone: 1(408) 859-5167
Phone: 1(408) 920-5000
Phone: 1(415) 777-1111
Kimberly Veklerov: email@example.com - San Francisco Chronicle
Phone: 1(415) 777-8497
Rachael Myrow: firstname.lastname@example.org - KQED
Phone: 1(415) 553-2129
Matt Levin: email@example.com - Calmatters
Phone: 1(713) 362-717
Phone: 1(559) 441-6015
Kevin Valine: firstname.lastname@example.org - Fresno Bee:
Phone: 1(209) 578-2366
Robert Digitale: email@example.com - Santa Rosa Press Democrat :
Jeff Collins: firstname.lastname@example.org - Riverside Press Enterprise
Phone: 1(714) 796-7734
Phone: 1(562) 567-7537
Jonathan Lansner: email@example.com - Orange County Register Business Columnist
Phone: 1(949) 777-6727
Lisa Halverstadt Voiceofsandiego.org
Gary Warth: firstname.lastname@example.org - San Diego Union-Tribune:
Phone: 1(760) 529-4939
Phillip Molnar: email@example.com - San Diego Union-Tribune - covers homelessness
Phone: 1(619) 293-1891
Phone: 1(619) 293-1891
Phone: 1(212) 617-7179
Join Livable California to Receive Action Alerts
Join Us to Make a Difference - Click Here
Become Active with Livable California
Come to one of our Monthly Meetings in San Francisco at the Taraval Police station community room, 2345 24th Avenue
See the latest meeting schedule on our Calendar - Click Here
Join Livable California to Receive Meeting Announcements - Click Here
Donate to Livable California
Donate Now - Click Here
Contact Your State Representative
Contact your state Senator or Assemblyperson! They need to hear from you.
Find your Senator or Assemblyperson - Click Here
Join Livable California to Make a Difference